Home of many of America’s best beaches, trips to the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area often start on a gorgeous white stretch of sand. Here you can immerse yourself in the pristine beauty of Florida’s West Coast beaches at Legacy Vacation Resorts-Indian Shores. Overlooking the scenic Intracoastal Waterway, our tranquil retreat is just moments from the white sand beaches, attractions and restaurants of Clearwater Beach and Tampa Bay. Explore 17 miles of sandy shoreline, just steps from the resort. With so many activities for families who want to play in and around the Gulf of Mexico, here is our top ten list of must see attractions in the area in no particular order.
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium – 10 miles from Legacy. Permanent home of Winter, the dolphin that stars in the hit movies “Dolphin Tale” and “Dolphin Tale 2,” the Clearwater Marine Aquarium is a must-visit attraction on Florida’s west coast. The aquarium is home to rescued dolphins, sea turtles, river otters, stingrays, nurse sharks and more. In fact, it’s been voted by USA Today and 10Best.com readers as the “Best Florida Attraction.” Aside from the Hollywood stardom, the aquarium is also a working marine hospital.
- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay – 35 minutes from Legacy. Wild animals and wilder rides await visitors at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. The 335-acre Africa-inspired theme park’s six infamous roller coasters, 2,000-plus animals and entertaining live shows provide truly unforgettable thrills. There is something for kids of all age at this world-class park. Don’t miss now through April 29, a world of taste awaits at the fourth annual Food & Wine Festival.
- Glazer Children’s Museum – 30 minutes from Legacy. Kids have so much fun here that the adults end up accidentally having fun as well. If you’ve never been to a children’s museum, it’s not like an adult museum. It’s loud, rambunctious, and exciting for all kids. There are many hands-on exhibits designed for exploration, such as a kid-sized grocery store, an airplane, and a cruise ship. In other words, it’s the greatest game of let’s pretend they will ever experience.
- Pier 60 – 9 miles from Legacy. Enjoy the free nightly sunset show at Clearwater Beach’s Pier 60. A family-friendly tradition, the daily festival runs from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. each night, weather permitting. Browse the local arts and craft pop-up shops. Street artists perform live painting demonstrations, while magicians, jugglers, fire eaters and stilt walkers draw the large crowds.
- Florida Botanical Gardens – 5 miles from Legacy. Tucked away in the heart of Largo and located about four miles east of Indian Rocks Beach, the Florida Botanical Gardens are a tropical oasis offering pure tranquility. Featuring more than 25 gardens and 150 lushly landscaped acres, it’s a perfect escape for nature enthusiasts.
- John’s Pass Village and Boardwalk – 6 miles from Legacy. Designed to look like a rustic fishing village, John’s Pass Village and Boardwalk is a waterfront entertainment complex featuring restaurants, souvenir shops, boutiques, bars, nightclubs, boat rentals and live music. Stroll along the 1100-foot boardwalk and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Chihuly Collection – 20 minutes from Legacy. Artist Dale Chihuly’s incredible glass works of art are displayed in museum installations all over the world, from NYC to Paris. But his permanent collection resides in downtown St. Petersburg at the Chihuly Collection presented by the Morean Arts Center, a gallery designed specifically for displaying his art. Stroll along the bayfront on Beach Drive and you can’t miss the entrance with its 20-foot vertical rock-like glass piece of art, jutting into the sky and exuding a vivid reddish pink hue.
- Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary – 2 miles from Legacy. For over 40 years, the Sanctuary has been dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured birds with the goal of their eventual release back into nature. The Sanctuary is world renowned for its rehabilitation techniques, and was the first facility to breed Eastern Brown Pelicans in captivity.
- Ruth Eckerd Hall – 20 minutes from Legacy. A 73,000-square-foot (6,800 m2) performing arts venue located in Clearwater, Florida, in the Tampa Bay area and is part of the Richard B. Baumgardner Center for the Performing Arts. Some upcoming concerts include Alice Cooper on March 23 and the Jersey Boys with several dates and times starting March 30. Click here for full entertainment schedule.
From the sunset strolls on the beach to sampling the local cuisine or just relaxing in the comfort of your fully equipped villa, Legacy Vacation Resorts is the ideal home away from home in the Sunshine State. The resort is perfect for families with its spacious studio, one & two-bedroom suites complete with Free WiFi, and a full kitchen or kitchenette. An outdoor pool, game room, BBQ area, shuffleboard court and fishing dock are on site as well.
Let Legacy Vacation Resort Indian Shores be your home away from home. Click here to start your planning.